Saturday, April 9, 2011

The boys are here

Thursday night when I got home from our home school meeting, I went to check on Praise and Mimi before heading to bed. Praise had started to goo so I got the "stuff" ready(towels, gloves, lube). I got Jordan out of bed and we watched and watched and watched until 1am. Praise wasn't progressing and it was COLD!!! So we turned on the heat lamp and headed to bed. I woke about every hour to check on her and still nothing. By the next morning Praise started to goo again so we were on watch again...well to make a very boring and long story shorter. Praise delivered triplets around 2:30pm. Unfortunately, the first had gotten stuck in the birth canal and died. He came out butt and elbow first. Poor Praise worked and worked. I had to pull and pull (she wouldn't let me turn it) so it was done the hard way. The second and third kids were fine just really tired and weak. Rob (of course) wasn't home and I don't do shots:) so it was strong coffee and colostrum until he got home to give them their BOSE shots. It took a lot of work but after about 1 1/2 hours they were up and wobbly. This morning they look great. I did have to milk Praise off a little bit, she was so swollen. The chickens, cats and Daisy enjoyed a nice bowl of goats milk. The boys will either be sold or butchered, so we don't name them, but they sure are cute!


This one looks a lot like Dalyn's Handsome Rob.

This one looks like his half sister Starburst(header picture).


5 comments:

Dalyn said...

nice looking kids! Great ears!

OurCrazyFarm said...

Congratulations! They are so handsome! If I lived closer I would have to wheel and deal with you for the little gray one:)) So sorry for the difficult birth. We have so far missed out on any hard deliveries~ hoping to keep it that way.

Michelle said...

Okay, I think I might reconsider breeding goats...that's just way too much work!

By the way, love your new header!! Did you make it?

Teresa said...

Michelle you are too funny here you have 2 foster girls and you say goats are work! Haha!!! They weren't that much work and the work they are is sooo worth it!
I did make the header on a photo editing site(I can't remember the name, you might ask Dalyn)

Jill @ The Prairie Homestead said...

There are few things cuter than a baby goat! They are so much fun. It's such an exciting time of year. Thanks for sharing your sweet babies with the Homestead Barn Hop!