Friday, February 1, 2013

Preserving the Harvest

Or should I say preserving what you have or buy! I have canned the last few years. First it started with jams, then applesauce, pickles, pickled asparagus, then a friend introduced me to pressure canning. I had always wanted to try it but was scared:) she showed me how to can carrots. Since then I have canned my own carrots, green beans, chicken and beef stock. Next I want to try my hand at meats. But I'm not quite there yet:))
Lately I've really gotten into dehydrating.. In the past I've only done fruit, but in the last few months I've tried veggies too. I really like the convenience of being able to just throw a handful of this and a handful of that into a pot with my canned stock and some meat and be done. No chopping, dicing, peeling. Dehydrating frozen veggies is he easiest. After you get home from the store you open the bag and dump them on your dehydrator, set it at 125-135 until they are crisp. There isn't any blanching involved when using already frozen veggies from the store.









No comments: