Thursday, April 8, 2010

Oatmeal Scones


These were a big hit in our house yesterday, they came from Joy of Cooking cookbook.

Preheat oven to 450
*whisk together thoroughly in a large bowl:
1 1/2c flour
1/4c sugar
1T baking powder
1/2 t salt

*Stir in, using your fingers if necessary to separate the fruit:
1 1/4 c old fashioned rolled oats
1/2c raisins(we used craisens)

*Whisk together then add all at once:
1 lg egg
10 T warm melted butter
1/3c milk

Mix with a rubber spatula, wooden spoon or fork just until the dry ingredients are moistened. the batter will be quite sticky. Transfer the dough to a lightly floured surface. With floured fingers pat the dough into an 8in round about 3/4in thick. Cut into 8-12 wedges or cut with round cookie cutter
*I used a food processor for this and it was much easier. Dump in dry ingredients then oats and fruit. Combine wet ingredients add to dry and process until combined.

I put a glaze over the top, it also came out of Joy of Cooking.
Mix together briskly:
1c powdered sugar
2-3T water,juice, or coffee. ( I used a combo of water and coffee)
1/2t grated orange zest(optional) I didn't use this
1/4t vanilla(optional) I did use this

drizzle over scones after they have cooled down a bit.

2 comments:

Lori said...

Those look good, I may have to make them sometime soon.

Sandra said...

I've never heard of this kind of scone. It sounds really good. I have a Joy of Cooking cookbook too.